I am constantly gearing up my character from challenge modes, and boy is it annoying as hell. Since the groups in my guild are random, there is always a “good” group which means they have the ideal class setup with all raid buffs, ergo they can get it down in less then a hour or something without even trying.
But there is always a group with a more unlucky setup and the suckage begins right there with the low dps, the unhealable tanks – speaking of which, WTF is going on with pala tanks lately? They are the epitome of paper right now as it seemed to me last night in UBRS.
When you can’t do a challenge mode because of bad DPS, what do you do? EXPLOIT!
But this is by far not the most frustrating aspect of the damned challenge modes. It is the loot itself that you get from it.
As you may know, the cache after completing a challenge mode contains a random epic. Another well-known fact is that you get a neat 640 epic helm from Molten Core. Now tell me: what are the odds of getting THREE helmets in a row from challenge modes? Well, I did not do the math, but I sure did got the three frickin’ helmets. And two boots after that.
Now I am in a happier mood though since I just finished the daily CM and I got the fabled Warforged Epix Shoulders of Awesomeness!
The DPS of the class feels awesome. I can dish out immense crits, but the lack of haste really shows itself in the long cast times. Still, it is no problem to do something like this easily:
It is challenging to manage a focus pool of 120 with shots worth of 45 and 50 focus, especially with these long cast times. I still mess up, but it gets rarer and rarer as I play more over time. All in all, it is pretty awesome. I miss Gnomekiller though, it is super weird not to have a pet. However, pets are friggin’ hilarious in instances, as I’ll add a short story about them in a next post soon.
The Kill Shot>Chimera Shot>Glaive Toss>Aimed Shot>Steady Shot rotation feels smooth, with the exception of one thing. It’s the Thrill of the Hunt talent combined with Aimed Shot’s “passive” which refunds focus. I know that it is impossible to replace Aimed Shot’s focus refund with a focus cost reduction since you can’t predict if it will crit or not, but you have to precalculate your other abilities this way and it feels a little bit rough. You are casting an Aimed Shot and only after it hit your target does your focus bar bumps back so you can cast, say, a Chimera. To be clear, I have no problem with this, it just feels awkward.
Back to the challenge modes: there is always a need to use game mechanics cleverly (especially for me), as Blizzard likes to put it. As you can see on the first picture, something is really wrong there. What happened is that I was in a very tired and low DPS UBRS group and we barely got down the bosses:
- The first one was pretty OK.
- The second one was evade bugged by me, then tanked by my pet full time. Yes. My pet tanked a Challenge mode boss. More on that later.
- The third one was killed after 20 tries because nor the heal nor the DPS was enough and adds were still there so this was before the hotfix. On the gazillionth try, I was the last man standing, and I chain rezzed my pet in Deterrence and killed the boss.
- This is where it got ugly. We could not deal with this boss whatsoever, and we were on the brink of giving up, when I misdirected it to the tank who ran out immediately. Then the boss did not evade. Also I outranged his abilities, so I just DPSed it down. I know that it’s kind of lame to do such a thing, let alone post about it but I’m pretty sure it will get fixed within days with or without this article anyway.
- The last boss was pretty straightforward.
So, to me, it felt kinda like carrying, right? :D